Friday, March 14, 2014

My Medicaid Struggle

Clicke HERE to see the interview and read the story



Earlier this week on Monday I reached my frustration limit.  Again, I called the Department of Health and Human Services and again I was transferred to a voicemail box that was full.  I've been doing this since I applied for Medicaid in November of 2013.  The only answer I have been able to get out of them is that they are 3-4 months backed up.  Here is was 5 months later and still nothing.  Meanwhile I have a lump growing in my breast that needs a biopsy.  When you're low income there is so much red tape to go through to get any kind of free or reduced cost care.

So, on Monday I reached my limit and wrote an email to WRAL, Raleigh's news channel, and told them my story and let them know that I would like to see a story done on this situation.  I did not expect to get an email back and I definitely did not expect them to request an on camera interview.

I've never been comfortable in front of a camera and I get very nervous and anxious.  I hesitated in replying because I wasn't sure of myself.  But, it's an important issue and I knew I had to speak out, so I accepted the offer.

Laura Leslie interviewed me yesterday and I was amazed at how easy it was.  She made me so comfortable that I forgot the camera was there.  I can't even tell you how proud I am of myself for having stepped way out of my comfort zone and in doing so did something good, something important.  I can only hope that this will open people's eyes and help to change perceptions of who people requesting government assistance are, who people living in poverty are.

After the interview aired yesterday at 6pm the station got calls in from people offering to help.  People offering to pay for my biopsy out of their own pockets!  I also got a message from Duke Hospital to call them and that they would get me in for my biopsy asap.  I can't tell you how powerful that was to me.  My faith in humanity has been restored.

I am also so appreciative of my friends and family who are so incredibly loving and supportive!  I really don't think I could have made it through the interview without my friend Jacqueline's calming presence!  And the outpouring of support from everyone else has been overwhelming!  Much love to all of you!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sarah - sending you all of the happy thoughts I can. Had no idea you were still waiting to find out what was going on. love and hugs

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP